Tom Mielke (R)
Clark County Commissioner Candidate, Position 1
2008 LifePac Survey Response
AN ETHIC OF LIFE IN PUBLIC
1. From a "consistent ethic of life" perspective, do you think county government is in a position to effectively advance respect for human life by means of public policy? Although a consistent ethic of life principle includes concern over major issues such as abortion, poverty, euthanasia, capital punishment, war, racism, nuclear arms and exploitation, many of these issues can and should be addressed in some measure at the local level. Each and every human being is unique and important. No person is defined by someone else's choices, and no one exists solely as a means to someone else's happiness. The choices we make, as individuals and as a society, must be weighed in light of their impact on human life and dignity. Do you think county government is able to promote greater respect for human life through its public policy?
PUBLIC LIBRARY PORNOGRAPHY
2. In the US Supreme Court ruling United States v. American Library Association, Inc, 2003, which upheld the use of library internet pornography filters, Chief Justice Rehnquist stated for the plurality that "to fulfill their traditional missions, public libraries must have broad discretion to decide what material to provide to their patrons. Although they seek to provide a wide array of information, their goal has never been to provide 'universal coverage,'" and "most libraries already exclude pornography from their print collections because they deem it inappropriate for inclusion." County Commissioners in Clark, Klickitat, and Skamania counties appoint and confirm Ft. Vancouver Regional Library board members to 7-year terms. Will you as a commissioner appoint and confirm only library board candidates who oppose the inclusion of pornography in public libraries, whether by internet or print materials?
3. Should Clark County partner in any way with the nation's biggest abortion provider, Planned Parenthood, who received over $336 million dollars in governmental grants and contracts in 2007, and aborted nearly 265,000 babies? Should Planned Parenthood be contracted with to make community presentations, provide literature, birth control chemicals or devises, and/or abortion services?
REGULATION OF SEXUALLY
4. The U.S. Supreme Court in Young v. American Mini Theaters, Inc., (1976) and Renton v. Playtime Theater, Inc., (1986), concluded that municipalities have "substantial governmental interests" in protecting and preserving the quality of life for its community against the adverse secondary effects of sexually oriented businesses while allowing for "reasonable alternative avenues of communication." Land Use Studies from cities around the United States were cited in both U.S. Supreme Court cases documenting the harmful secondary effects caused: 1. Increased Crime - rape, sexual assault, prostitution and illegal drug sales 2. Decreased Property Values - both residential and commercial 3. Urban Blight - people and businesses fleeing the community. Will you support municipalities that diligently seek and maintain zoning ordinances, licensing procedures, permit requirements and operational regulations which serve to minimize the adverse secondary effects of Sexually Oriented Businesses?
5. The 14th Amendment states "nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty or property without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." The Supreme Court in Roe v. Wade, 1973, stated that "if this suggestion of personhood is established, the appellant's case, of course, collapses, for the fetus' right to life would then be guaranteed specifically by the [14th] Amendment." The Court regrettably concluded though that "we need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer." Do you believe that life begins at conception and is present throughout pregnancy, and that, therefore, the State has a compelling interest in protecting that life from and after conception?
6. Do you believe that a unique human life begins at conception?
|If not, when? ___ 3 mths ___ 6 mths ___ 9 mths ___ 1 yr ___ 18 yrs?||
Is taking the life of a pre-born child through abortion ever permissible?
Mark all that apply:
_____ No, it's never permissible
__X___ Yes, to save mother's life
_____ Yes, in cases of rape or incest
_____ Yes, for physical deformity
_____ Yes, for gender
_____ Yes, for race
_____ Yes, to punish spouse
_____ Yes, it's always permissible
FAMILY INVOLVEMENT IN MINORS' ABORTIONS
8. Peer reviewed scientific studies have shown that family involvement laws reduce the occurrence of risky sex in teens, and more than 30 states currently have some form of them. Either the teen refrains from engaging in sex or is more careful before having sex. These laws help teen mothers and fathers get the support and guidance they need from parents in this important decision. Not having them risks parental estrangement or alienation from the child when in the greatest need and denies the dignity of the family. Minors already must have parental approval for even the most minor types of medical procedures or medications and should also for the complex procedure of abortion. Without family involvement, a minor impregnated by an adult often times is pressured into having an abortion so as to conceal the fact that the adult is guilty of statutory rape. Do you support family involvement laws (with judicial override) for minors when seeking an abortion?
9. A proposed casino off I-5 near Ridgefield is projected to be one of the largest in the nation. What is your position on the building of this casino? Mark an “X” along the continuum for your answer.
Fully Oppose X
10. "Religious communities are the largest and best-organized civil institutions in the world, claiming the allegiance of billions across race, class, and national divides. These communities have particular cultural understandings, infrastructures, and resources to get help where it is needed most" (World Conference of Religions for Peace). Southwest Washington has a broad range of religious communities that contribute substantially to the welfare of families, children, seniors, the homeless, sick, and refugees. They are a highly valued part of our community which respects and defends human life at every stage. Are you an active member in a church, synagogue, temple, mosque or other religious assembly?
|If so, you may state here where at: First Church of God(FCOG) Vanc.||Yes No|
11. The federal Faith-Based and Community Initiative ensures that religious and other community organizations are able to compete on an equal footing for participation in Federal programs without impairing the character of such organizations and without diminishing the religious freedom of those served. Do you agree that the federal Faith-Based and Community Initiative, in keeping with the First Amendment free exercise clause, lawfully ensures fair treatment of faith based charitable work and is it good for our community?
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMMENTS
12. Please state your qualifications for office such as professional, educational, family and community accomplishments. You may also add any any further comments regarding the relationship of your candidacy to respect life issues.
Served eight years as a State Legislator with a full record of supporting marriage between one man and one women(DOMA), took the lead in getting 3 hearing on pornography in public libraries while In the legislature and active locally as a Legislator to testify repeatedly against porn in Clark County.
Served on Local Government and Land Use Committee & Transportation Committee for all eight years in Olympia .
13. May LifePac post your returned survey on our website? Surveys are posted only with your permission.