2007 Camas Mayoral Candidate
|Candidate's Website||2003 Survey Response||Camas Library Provides Unfiltered Internet Access|
|Camas Library Board Meeting of October 4, 2007||FVRL Filters All Internet Access|
|Mainstream Republicans (Acting) County Chair|
2007 Survey Response
1. I support the Crisis Pregnancy Center in Camas because it offers an alternative to abortion for mothers in crisis in our community. In June, I participated in the WALK for LIFE held at Louis Bloch Park in Camas and I donated $150 in a charitable contribution to the center. I support what they are doing in my community.
I support the Inter-Faith Treasure House (IFTH) because they also do great things in our community to help feed the hungry, provide back packs filled with school supplies to children in need each fall, provide meals twice a week at the lost and found cafe to hungry families, food baskets to local families, free bread each day to the poor, and in total, the IFTH gives back over $800,000 annually to families in Camas and Washougal. Over the past few months, I have worked with Nancy Wilson, Exec. Dir. of the the IFTH to help raise the awareness of this facility. I wrote a guest editorial in the local Camas-Washougal Post Record and also donated the design of a new advertising plan for the IFTH to promote their program. As a volunteer, I hope to continue to help the IFTH in their good works in the community.
While these various positions and activities are not related to city government, as Mayor I will support these programs by keeping them at the forefront of awareness in Camas.
2. Internet Pornography in the Camas Library. I agree that pornography should be excluded from the library, including the Internet, since it is inappropriate for a public facility. I support 100% filtering of all pornography on all computers in the Camas Public Library. (not just filtering out illegal child pornography). An exception could be made so that bona fide research could be obtained. For example, if legitimate information is wrongly blocked, it could be made available upon request.
The Mayor appoints the library board with the consent of council. The appointment process should be carried out by the elected officials responsible. If elected, I would appoint citizens who oppose the inclusion of pornography in our library, and I think that the vast majority of Camas residents would agree with that. A no-porn Internet policy is working well in Ft. Vancouver libraries where filters are used to block out porn. A similar policy could work well in Camas too.
3. Adult Entertainment Establishments As Camas Mayor, I will strongly recommend the enforcement of our recently updated zoning ordinances, licensing procedures, permit requirements and operational regulations which serve to minimize the adverse secondary effects of Sexually Oriented Businesses.
4. Abortion Because of my religious beliefs, I do believe that life begins at conception and is present throughout pregnancy, and that, therefore, the State has a compelling interest in protecting that life from and after conception. I support women's' access to low cost health care, education and birth control to avoid unwanted pregnancies in our community. I support crisis pregnancy centers to assist women in their difficult times.
5. It is only permissible to take the life of a pre-born child in order to save a mother's life.
6. Do you support parental notification and/or consent before a minor (under 18 years of age) could have an abortion? A judicial bypass of parents would be allowed when necessary.
I support parental notification and/or consent before a minor (under 18 years of age) could have an abortion. A judicial bypass of parents would be allowed when necessary.
7. I would not be in favor of the City of Camas to partner in any way with the nation's biggest abortion provider, Planned Parenthood, who received over $305 million dollars in governmental grants and contracts last year, and aborted nearly 265,000 babies.
8. I am against the Cowlitz Indian Tribe is seeking a 152 acre site near La Center because it has not been intelligently argued that the Cowlitz have ancestral lands in La Center. Furthermore, gambling is especially addictive and as crime rates tend to begin rising 3 or 4 years after a casino begins doing business in a county, I do not feel this would be good for the quality of life in our community. I strongly oppose the building of the Cowlitz casino.
I consider myself a good, moral Christian woman. I occasionally attend Methodist Church services in Fern Prairie. I was raised in a Catholic family and I believe in Jesus Christ and doing the right thing everyday.
FAITH-BASED AND COMMUNITY INITIATIVE
10. I agree that this initiative, in keeping with the First Amendment free exercise clause, lawfully ensures fairer treatment of faith based charitable work and is it good for our community. I support the good works and help out as I can at the Inter-Faith Treasure House.
11. Please link to my campaign website at www.ElectLiz.org. On this site, I list extensive experience, community involvement, my education and my qualifications for Camas Mayor. The website is quite extensive and I encourage your web site visitors of LifePac to go to www.ElectLiz.org.
LifePac has my permission to post my responses to your questionnaire on the LifePac website. Please encourage your visitors to call me if they have any questions or concerns. I can be reached at home at 210-7843 or at work at my company, Pike Advertising Agency at 834-7175.
Liz Pike Candidate, Camas Mayor
Liz Pike (at Shangri-La)
1607 Division Street
Camas, WA 98607
Home Phone 210-7843
Mainstream Republicans (Acting) County Chair
MAINSTREAM REPUBLICANS OF WASHINGTON BOARD ROSTER
COUNTY CHAPTERSLiz Pike Erikson, Clark....................Acting Chair
Retrieved Nov. 18, 2007 from http://www.washingtonmainstream.org/board_members.aspx.
See LifePac info on pro abortion Mainstream Republicans.